Now that your security is up and running, we wanted to let you in on a few security best practices. These tips will help keep your site safe, your cameras online and allow access for authorized visitors even during monitoring hours.
Authorized vs Unauthorized Activities/Access:
- Authorize your security guards, cleaning crews, delivery drivers and other 3rd parties with a safeword to access your business after hours.
- Note on your site protocols the names and logos of your authorized security guards, cleaning crews, delivery services and other 3rd parties for easy reference by our monitoring team.
- Have your security guard, cleaning crew or delivery driver call Pro-Vigil prior to entering your site. Remember, they’ll need to use their safe word.
- Ask your cleaning crew to wear visibly identifiable clothing/reflective vests..
- Direct early/late staff to call in using their personal safeword when entering the site or remaining on site during monitoring hours.
- To avoid false call outs and false alarms, have the last manager arm the site and the first one in the office or on the site disarm the site with safewords/pins for staff.
- Camera views should include only the assets to be protected; rather than looking out to public streets. Public street activity is out of our control.
- If there is no available lighting at night; consider thermal cameras at the perimeters.
- Adding specific information on Camera Views, as well as directional info, will allow Dispatchers to make more informed decisions.
- Examples: CAM 3 is on the NE Corner of the Main Bldg and faces the New Car Front Lot , MMDX1 is located on the SE Corner of the site and faces the CONEX with high value materials inside, CAM6 is in the 3rd Floor Parking Lot showing Resident Parking.
- Name your cameras! Adding a name or location next to Unit ID helps dispatchers quickly locate specific units on site. Ex: MDX123 - Entrance, MDX234 - Rear lot, etc.
- Customers should be aware that even if we are disarming; the cameras are always recording motion.
- Camera view notes should be descriptive and can include “Authorized vs Unauthorized” information - Example: No traffic of any kind allowed in CAM#1.
- Install at least one (1) internal cam in the building to confirm entry and exit of authorized personnel. This allows our monitoring team to more easily confirm if the person is authorized or breaking into the building.
- Update contact details. The contact phone number on the account should go to the direct person responsible for security. The contact phone number should never lead to the main business phone number or a phone tree.
- Set the primary action to contact police with a secondary action to notify primary contact. These calls often happen in the late hours of the night or very early in the morning, so notifying authorities first will ensure the best outcome for stopping crime.
- Register with your local Police Department to let them know Pro-Vigil will be monitoring.
- Purchase the Annual Alarm Permit, if available, to avoid additional charges.